“Prevention is the best medicine” is as true in roofing as it is in healthcare. The highly trained roofers at Muth & Company Roofing are always happy to assist you with any roofing need, but we also want to help you save money where we can. That’s why we highly recommend routine roof maintenance that includes a yearly roof inspection.
A little prevention now will catch little problems before they turn into big ones that require expensive roof repairs. Before winter weather hits with its frigid temperatures, ice and snow, make sure your roof is up to the task of protecting your home by following these five steps.
- Inspect the roof for missing or cracked shingles. Shingles are the first line of defense for your roof, and should be replaced as soon as possible to prevent leaks or damage to the underlayment. Start by inspecting the roof for shingles that are missing or cracked beyond repair and replace as needed. Use roofing cement to fix minor cracks, and dab some under loose shingles to reattach them.
- Check flashings around roof features. Roof penetrations such as chimneys and skylights are prone to leaking, so it’s important to ensure that the surrounding flashing, which is used to seal out moisture, isn’t damaged or deteriorating. Nine out of 10 roof leaks can be traced to flashing problems, so don’t forget this step!
- Clean all debris out of gutters. Clogged gutters can quickly lead to water and property damage, so gutters should always be kept clear of debris. First, clean out leaves and any other tree debris, then use water to flush out the guttering. Keep an eye on the water flow as you do this to ensure the downspouts are functioning properly. Also, remove any visible debris from the roof’s surface to prevent waterlogging, which can speed deterioration.
- Trim back overhanging tree limbs. Heavy tree limbs can do a lot of damage to your roof’s surface if they are blown down in a storm or collapse under the weight of ice or snow. To avoid potential damage, trim your trees back so that all limbs are well away from the roof.
- Evaluate attic insulation levels. The appropriate amount of insulation is essential to maintain an energy-efficient home. If you want lower heating bills this winter, consider adding extra insulation in your attic to prevent warm interior air from escaping through your roof deck and causing ice dams.
If you want a trouble-free roof, experienced roofing contractors will tell you that routine maintenance and simple repairs can considerably extend the service life of your roof. For questions about fall roof maintenance or to schedule a professional roof inspection with Muth & Company Roofing, please call us at (614) 682-3060.
Muth & Company Roofing is a certified Master Elite Contractor through GAF servicing Columbus, Ohio and the surrounding area including Westerville, Delaware, Worthington, Dublin, Bexley, Gahanna, New Albany, and nearby communities. Muth & Company provides roofing installation services, as well as gutter installation, gutter replacement, gutter repair, attic insulation, skylight installation, and roof repair. We’re proud to offer metal roofing installation and metal roof financing services.
We use quality, feature-rich products including GAF American Harvest Shingles as well as the full GAF roofing system to deliver superior protection and warranties. If you’re in need of an experienced, trusted roofing or gutter company in the Columbus, Ohio region, don’t hesitate to call Muth & Company for a free estimate at (614) 682-3060 today!