Scams are widely known practices of thieves and yet a lot of people still fall for them. Some scams are just so elaborate and enticing that people who are desperate enough will easily believe them. Therefore, it is important to do background checks on any company you wish to hire especially regarding home improvement companies. Simply checking their website (if they have any) won’t be enough; you need to be hands-on to be sure.
Here are some methods on how to do a thorough background check to know if a roofing company is legitimate.
Search for an address or a landline number
One way of knowing a company is a sham if they don’t have an office or any means to contact them. A website domain and email are easy to create. Having a way to talk or meet with them directly can assure you that you’re dealing with a real company.
Search for the company name on Google
Here are some of the benefits of checking Google to find roofing companies.
- Read reviews from other homeowners who have used the roofing company.
- See the company’s rating, which is based on the number and severity of complaints.
- Contact the company directly to get more information.
Check your local Better Business Bureau
If you are considering hiring a roofing company, it is a good idea to check the BBB website to see if the company has a profile. The BBB’s profile can help you make an informed decision about whether or not to hire the company.
Here are some of the benefits of checking the BBB to find roofing companies. The BBB can help you…
- identify reputable roofing companies.
- avoid scams and fraud.
- get the best possible price for your roofing project.
- resolve any problems you may have with your roofing company.
Additional items to help you know if a roofing company is legitimate
- Before signing anything, get multiple estimates.
- Make sure the company is licensed and insured.
- Check the company’s references.
- Get everything in writing.
- Be prepared to pay a deposit, but not for the entire job.
By following these tips, you can increase your chances of finding a good roofing company that will do a quality job at a fair price.