While schoolkids get excited about snow days, the reality is that major winter storms can wreak havoc in the lives of adults, causing inconvenience, discomfort and expensive damage. Keep your home protected from these disruptions by following these tips.
- Keep gutters clear. This keeps ice from building up in the gutters and contributing to the formation of ice dams, which may cause water to back up underneath shingles.
- Trim back trees. Trim trees and shrubs back far enough that they will not rub against or fall onto your roof or siding, even if weighed down with snow and ice. Remember, safety first. Call a professional if you need help.
- Inspect the roof. Keep an eye out for missing or damaged shingles and roof flashing that can allow water and ice into your home. Call for Columbus roof repair if you notice anything unusual, especially after severe weather.
- Mind the chimney. Wind and heavy rains can lead to a leaky chimney and related water damage. Be sure your chimney has a chimney cap installed, and have the brick and mortar inspected periodically since the freeze/thaw cycle will eventually cause cracks.
- Get a roof rake. If large amounts of snow accumulate on your roof, consider using a roof rake to remove some of the load that can cause leaks and even lead to collapse. If you are unsure if snow should be removed or if you need help, call a Columbus roofer for assistance.
- Insulate pipes. Look for exposed water supply lines that are located in unheated areas and exterior walls. Wrap them with an insulating pipe sleeve or heat tape to stop the pipes from freezing and bursting in very cold weather. Let water trickle from faucets connected to exposed pipes that run through unheated spaces to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Find the main water valve. Know where the main water valve is located (typically in the basement or outside near the curb) so you can turn water off quickly if a pipe bursts.
- Keep walkways clear. Ensure personal safety after a storm hits by clearing snow and ice from sidewalks, steps and driveways. Treat these surfaces with rock salt or deicing products.
Trust Our Professionals for Repair
If your home is damaged by a severe winter storm, your homeowner’s insurance will generally cover the repairs. For assistance with winter roofing issues and filing a claim for roof repair in Columbus, call Muth & Company right away at (614) 682-3060. We’re here to help, no matter the weather.
Muth & Company Roofing is a certified Master Elite Contractor through GAF servicing Columbus, Ohio and the surrounding area including Westerville, Delaware, Worthington, Dublin, Bexley, Gahanna, New Albany, and nearby communities. Muth & Company provides roofing installation services, as well as gutter installation, gutter replacement, gutter repair, attic insulation, skylight installation, and roof repair. We’re proud to offer metal roofing installation and metal roof financing services.
We use quality, feature-rich products including GAF American Harvest Shingles as well as the full GAF roofing system to deliver superior protection and warranties. If you’re in need of an experienced, trusted roofing or gutter company in the Columbus, Ohio region, don’t hesitate to call Muth & Company for a free estimate at (614) 682-3060 today!