Whenever we watch or hear the weather forecast, chances are there are winter weather terms we may not be familiar with.
This is why we at Muth & Company Roofing, experts in roofing in Columbus Ohio, have prepared this short guide on some common winter weather terms you may want to learn about.
These words may sound simple, but they actually involve a complicated scientific process.
Here are a few examples of winter weather terms
- Alberta clipper. Also known as Canadian clipper, it is a fast-moving low-pressure system that affects parts of central Canada and the Great Lakes region of the United States (which includes Ohio). These are storms that sweep in at high speed whenever they make landfall.
- Windchill (Windchill index) – an apparent temperature that takes into account the combined effect of lowering temperatures and the rate of heat loss from a human body, caused by the wind. As the wind increases, heat is carried away from a person’s body at a more accelerated rate. This drives down the body temperature.
- Blizzard – strong winds (greater than 35 mph) and heavy snow or blowing snow combine to produce very poor visibility. There no longer is a temperature criterion for a blizzard.
- Ice storm – significant and possibly damaging accumulations of ice are expected during freezing rain situations. Significant ice accumulations are usually accumulations of ½ inch or greater.
- Sleet – ice pellets or granules of frozen rain. Occurs when rain falls into a layer of air with temperatures below freezing. Sleet usually bounces when hitting a surface and does not stick. It can accumulate on roadways causing a hazard to motorists.
- Heavy snow – Snow accumulating to at least 6 inches in 12 hours.
- Hypothermia – a medical emergency: when the body temperature drops below 95 F.
Now that you have a better understanding of what these terms actually mean, you can prepare for them in case they occur in our area. The best way to prepare against any weather condition is to ensure that your Columbus Ohio roofing is in good working condition. To do so, you may need to conduct the necessary maintenance and or repairs. If you need assistance in doing so, we at Muth & Company Roofing can help you out.
We’re experts when it comes to repairing various roofing issues.
This includes damaged flashing and buckling, damaged, or missing shingles. We even perform chimney repairs. We use only the best materials available from top manufacturers like GAF to ensure the quality of our work and materials.
Knowing is half the battle when it comes to preparing your roof against various weather conditions. This is why it’s important to know some common winter weather terms.
Need the best roofing available in Columbus, OH, and surrounding communities? We’re the roofer who wants to earn your business. Call Muth & Company Roofing today at (614) 882-0900 for a FREE estimate, or fill out our contact form. We serve Columbus, Westerville, Delaware, Worthington, Dublin, Bexley, Gahanna, New Albany, and many other surrounding Central Ohio cities.
Muth & Company Roofing is a certified Master Elite Contractor through GAF servicing Columbus, Ohio and the surrounding area including Westerville, Delaware, Worthington, Dublin, Bexley, Gahanna, New Albany, and nearby communities. Muth & Company provides roofing installation services, as well as gutter installation, gutter replacement, gutter repair, attic insulation, skylight installation, and roof repair. We’re proud to offer metal roofing installation and metal roof financing services.
We use quality, feature-rich products including GAF American Harvest Shingles as well as the full GAF roofing system to deliver superior protection and warranties. If you’re in need of an experienced, trusted roofing or gutter company in the Columbus, Ohio region, don’t hesitate to call Muth & Company for a free estimate at (614) 682-3060 today!