Choosing a roof replacement or repair when it starts to sag or leak can be aggravating.
Roofing experts, like Muth & Company Roofing, say that the age of your roof is a key consideration. Here are some roofing material types, and their typical longevity, to compare and contrast.
- Asphalt and fiberglass shingles commonly have a life span of 15 to 20 years.
- High-grade shingles may offer 25 years of service.
- Roofs built with wood shingles or shakes have an average life of 15 to 30 years.
- Rubber roofing is available in shingles or large rolls. Depending on the installation and rubber quality, a rubber roof can last from 10 to more than 30 years.
- Flat roofs, like those on mobile homes, may use a foam roofing material. The foam’s durability will depend on the weather and general care of the roof.
- Metal roofs tend to have the longest life spans. Steel and copper materials can last up to 50 years. Tin roofs can also last for a lengthy period if they are properly cared for. Metal roofing is one of the more expensive choices.
- Slate roofing is one of the most durable types. A quality slate installation should last from 40 to 75 years.
Once you have determined the life span of your roof, you’ll have a better idea more or less whether a roof replacement or repair is really what should be done.
If your roof is new and it only has minor damage, all you need is a minor roof repair by a Columbus, Ohio contractor like Muth & Company Roofing. Minor repairs are relatively quick and inexpensive. You won’t have to worry about spending much on your roof maintenance.
If your roof is old, however, chances are you need replacement. Furthermore, you’ll have to decide whether to install your new roof over the existing one or whether to tear the old one out. The International Residential Code (R907.3) prohibits the installation of a new roof over two or more applications of any type of roof covering due to weight and its effect on your home’s structure.
If you happen to have two or more applications already, you will have to completely tear off the old one.
If you have more questions regarding expert roof repair in Columbus, Ohio see a reputable contractor like Muth & Company Roofing for professional assistance.
Need the best roofing available in Columbus, OH, and surrounding communities? We’re the roofer who wants to earn your business. Call Muth & Company Roofing today at (614) 882-0900 for a FREE estimate,