Weather can be unpredictable, and turbulent weather—especially hail—can damage shingles.
A manufacturer’s warranty typically will not cover damage to your roof caused by hail. Above all, review the details of the warranty covering your shingles.
Here are some answers to common questions regarding hail damage.
Hail damage is not immediately noticeable. Hail impact may cause latent damage that can, over time, result in premature aging of the shingles.
Roof shingle damage will be seen as indentations and/or fractures on the shingle’s surface. Hailstones vary in size, shape, and hardness. That will create a random pattern of dents or depressions.
What are the most common types of damage?
- Granule loss at points of impact, which may be accompanied by surface depression.
- Cracks in the granule-asphalt surfacing, which may radiate outward from points of impact.
- Exposed fiberglass mat, where hail shattered the granule-asphalt surfacing causing it to break away from the fiberglass mat.
- Fractured fiberglass mat, which may or may not be immediately visible. Ultimately, a fractured mat may result in tears radiating out from the points of impact.
- Loosening of the self-seal strip. This damage may or may not be immediately visible and may weaken the seal integrity, creating the possibility of future shingle blow-off.
It’s possible to replace individual storm-damaged shingles. Damage to the surrounding shingles from storm damage is difficult to assess. The surrounding shingles can experience storm damage. In the end, a complete roof replacement is sometimes recommended.
Our highly-skilled and factory-trained roofing experts at Muth Roofing do routine maintenance on both residential and commercial properties. Most importantly, to monitor the upkeep of your roof. You can trust that your roof will be in good hands.
Give Muth & Company Roofing a call at 614-882-0900.
Thanks to Liza Barth, Content Editor & Writer, GAF ProBLOG
Muth & Company Roofing is a certified Master Elite Contractor through GAF servicing Columbus, Ohio and the surrounding area including Westerville, Delaware, Worthington, Dublin, Bexley, Gahanna, New Albany, and nearby communities. Muth & Company provides roofing installation services, as well as gutter installation, gutter replacement, gutter repair, attic insulation, skylight installation, and roof repair. We’re proud to offer metal roofing installation and metal roof financing services.
We use quality, feature-rich products including GAF American Harvest Shingles as well as the full GAF roofing system to deliver superior protection and warranties. If you’re in need of an experienced, trusted roofing or gutter company in the Columbus, Ohio region, don’t hesitate to call Muth & Company for a free estimate at (614) 682-3060 today!